The episode 66 of Between Birds of Prey is dedicated to the famous german legend of Faust. There are many works of art based on this legend, mainly on literature, for instance Johann Wolfgang von Goethe’s Faust or Doktor Faust by Thomas Mann, but also on paintings, such as A Scholar in His Study by Rembrandt (the picture in the right). In music, lots of creations are also based on this legend, for instance the opera Faust by Charles Gounod or A Faust Symphony by Franz Liszt, both featured in this program.
For those less familiar with this myth, here is a small description, taken from Wikipedia:
Faust is the protagonist of a classic German legend; a highly successful scholar but one dissatisfied with his life who therefore makes a pact with the Devil, exchanging his soul for unlimited knowledge and worldly pleasures. The Faust legend has been the basis for many literary, artistic, cinematic, and musical works that have reinterpreted it through the ages. Faust and the adjective Faustian imply a situation in which an ambitious person surrenders moral integrity in order to achieve power and success for a delimited term.
With this in mind, you can check the playlist and listen to the audio played in the program.
- Franz Liszt – A Faust Symphony – 1. Faust (A Faust Symphony)
- Havergal Brian – Symphony no. 1 in D minor “The Gothic” – Part 1 (Symphony no.1 in D minor “The Gothic”)
- Henri Rabaud – Procession nocturne, op. 6 (symphonic poem after lenau’s faust) (pays de loire po (pierre dervaux))
- Hector Berlioz – Dance of the Sylphes (La damnation de Faust)
- Hector Berlioz – Dors! heureux Faust (La damnation de Faust)
- Charles Gounod – Faust (“Margarethe”)-Ballet Music: 5: Moderato con moto (Faust)
- Charles Gounod – I – Rien!… En vain j’interroge, (Faust: Franco Corelli) (Faust)
- Charles Gounod – II – Le veau d’or est toujours debout, (Mephistopheles: Nicolai Ghiaurov, Wagner: Raymond Myers) (Faust)
- Arrigo Boito – Prologue – T’ è Noto Faust (Mefistofele)
- Arrigo Boito – Act Four – Ecco La Notte Del Classico Sabba (Mefistofele)
- Franz Liszt – Mephisto Waltz No.1 (Mephisto Waltzes)
- Ataraxia – Faust In Una Sala Maledetta (Strange Lights)
- Arcana – Dark Age of Reason (Dark Age of Reason)
- :Of The Wand And The Moon: – Lucifer II (Lucifer)
- Bruno Ganz – Goethe’s Faust theatrification (excerpt)
- Horologium – Faustus (Paradise Inverted)
- Arrigo Boito – Epilogue – Ave Signor, Signor Degli Angeli (Mefistofele)
- Charles Gounod – Alerte! alerte! (Faust)
If you prefer to download the audio, you can do it with the following link (the .cue file should help you split the full mp3 into songs):